Nineteen Questions For the Charismatics
1. If "speaking in tongues" is seemingly so important today, why is there no record of it in religious or secular history between its occurrence in Corinth and 1900 A.D.????2. Why do so-called" missionaries" who claim this "gift" find it necessary to laboriously study the language at a foreign country in the same manner as UN-gifted ones????
3. Why would any group want to pattern their "worship" activities after the Corinthian Church where incest, drunkeness, fornication, divisions, pride, law-suits, stinginess, idol worship, spiritual immaturity, long-haired men and mockery of the Lord's table were accepted practices before Paul rebuked them for these practices????
4. Why would any group demand a practice ("tongues") from its followers which the Word of God nowhere commands or even recommends?? (Galatians 1:6-9)
5. Why should one "gift" be singled out for practice and others (drinking poison, being immune from snake venom etc.) be ignored??? (Mark 16:17-lb)
6. ALL instances of "tongues" in the Book of Acts were to convince Jews of the veracity of the message, why then practice this "gift" today with no Jews present in services??? (Acts 2:4-6; Acts 10:44-46; Acts. 19:1-8)
7, What might cause such on emphasis on this activity when not a single soul is recorded as having been saved as a result of it, even when permitted??? (I Tim. 4.1; II Tim, 3:1 -7)
8. Why do "tongues" groups consistently reject the doctrine of eternal life as taught by the Ward of God, and substitute their doctrine of "salvation by works"??? (John 10: 28-30; John 5:24; John 1:12; I John 5;12; Matt 24:11; Matt.7:23)
9. Why are the Divine rules for such conduct so conveniently ignored during todays practice of "tongues"?? (I Cor. 14 contains all the rules)
10. Could it be that this activity serves as one method of asserting control over other individuals who lack a certain level of "spirituality"??? (Gal 6:12-13; I Cor 14:36-38)
11. Why are female "preachers' so prominent in this movement, even though Gods Word specifically prohibits such??? (I Timothy 3:1-7)
12. Why is this activity the only "common denominator" among groups with apparent extreme theological differences, i.e. Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, etc.??? (Jude 14-18)
13 What possible motive could any group have to claim to practice a "gift" that God says expressly no longer exists???? (I Cor 13:8)
14. Why is this "tongues" activity only mentioned in one of the 14 Pauline epistles, and then in a disciplinary, restrictive manner?????
15. Why is there so much emphasis on an activity that was only 1/2000th as important as preachingeven when done according to the rules??? (I Cor 14:19)
16. Why ore so many seemingly sincere people willing to "bend over backward" in an attempt to explain away, or apologize for, the spiritual disasters of prominent ''charismatic'' charlatans such as Jim Jones, Oral Roberts, Rex Humbard, et at ?????
17. Jesus stated (John 16:13-14), that the Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself (the Spirit). Why, then, is the third Person of the Trinity given such undue emphasis by "tongues" practitioners on the one hand, and totally ignored in their "baptism" (as they do it in "Jesus name only") even though Jesus. commanded differently?? (Mon. 28:9).
18. The Bible clearly teaches an indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the believer's body at salvation (Eph 1:13-14; Rom 8:14-16: 26-26; II Thess 2:13; I Cor 3:16; 6:19) Why then do they teach that the BIBLE is wrong, and require an effort on the part of the individual to receive the Holy Spirit????
19. What should be the attitude of the Bible believer toward such groups? (I John 4:1-3; Eph. 5:11; II Theses 3:14-15)